Monday, February 13, 2012

Ohio Sportsman Survey - Ohio Deer Rifle

What's the difference between .44 magnum revolver and .44 lever-action rifle? One is a legal weapon for hunting deer in Ohio during the firearms season and the rifle isn't. The Buckeye Firearms Association has set out to change this. However you feel about it, go take the survey now.
I'm personally for it. As a kid I often wondered about slipping a .41 magnum cartridge into my .410. Of course I never did, but there was little doubt in my mind that the straight-walled .41 magnum would be a more effective load than a .410 slug. And the thought of carrying a snappy lever-action rifle to a deer stand seems much more like the traditional deer hunting that the rest of the country knows rather than lugging the 870. Even if it's not a 30/30.
From a safety standpoint it doesn't seem as though these cartridges pose a dramatic increase in range, which was the reason for the original shotgun and muzzleloader restriction. Indiana has already made the change, the only state bordering Ohio that had a rifle ban. As long as the ODNR can keep up with and enforce, I am for it.
Photo from www.gunblast.com

No comments:

Post a Comment